Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Settling Down

Well, as of yesterday it has been a week since I first set foot on Aussie soil. I feel like I've already been here a lifetime, and yet at the same, I already know how hard it will be to leave.




Here is a group shot of the pasty white Americans (pre-sunburn) at Manly Beach. These are some of my new friends, although only about 1/2 of the ASC kids went to the beach. I'm sure I'll get a picture of EVERYONE soon enough.


So, I think the last update I had was over the weekend. So, let me tell you about my first week of classes. It was REALLY hard to get back into the swing of things, and to be honest, I have tons of reading that I really should be doing and keep putting it off until the weekend. I haven't had classes since the very beginning of December, so it's a big adjustment getting used to school again.
The Australia school system is totally different though. It's required by law to have 80% attendance, so teachers take it at the beginning of every class and submit their attendance records to the registrar's office at the end of every day. Assignments are submitted through the registrars office as well, not directly to the teacher. Most classes only have 1 or 2 assignments due throughout the entire semester, typically just papers. I think only one of my classes has a test. But moving on to my actual classes....

On Monday I have an Australian culture class taught by Kimberly who is the head of the ASC (if you're still wondering what that is, it's Australia Studies Center). All the American exchange students are in that class, and I can already tell it's going to be wonderful. And a lot of hard work.

On Tuesday I have Old Testament and Theological Foundations, both of which have amazing teachers or "lecturers" as they call them here. I had orignally signed up for two dance classes and I went to them and they were really fun. But, I decided that since a big part of my reason for coming to Australia was to learn more about God, I should pursue that completly in and out of the classroom. So hopefully between my two theology classes, I'll come away from this place with a deeper understanding of Scripture and the God that lives in those pages. I also have Video Production on Tuesday night, which is taugh by an English woman called Chloe. I think this class is going to be way too easy, but it will be fun none the less.

On Wednesday I have a class called "The Creative Christian" which is basically a Christian culture class about art and the community. Much like UCORE 1000. I think this class is going to be a little edgier and dive a bit deeper into the issues that surround modern day Christianity. The same teacher that I have for Old Testament is teaching this class, he is called Grenville Kent. Cool name eh?

And that's it. I don't have any classes on Thursday, just volunteering from 5-8 and on Fridays we take field trips with the ASC group. Tomorrow we are going to check out the different libraries in the area, and get a library card. Woo! Tomorrow night there is another free outdoor concert at Olympic Park, this time it's a Bob Dylan tribute and people like winners from Australian Idol are coming to sing. It will be fun, I hope.

I guess that's about all I have to write about currently. I'll write more about the people I'm meeting and that kind of thing once I get to know them a little better.


I love you all and if you ever want me to call, just send me an e-mail/facebook message/comment on my blog. I have a phone card, so I'm not completly disconnected (that goes for you too Ciara.)


Until my next update,
Kristin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so that means I call you or you call me?