Saturday, February 24, 2007

Australia: Day 14

I can't believe I've been here for 14 days already, I feel like I just got here! I know I still have four whole months, but I'm afraid my time here is going to pass by so quickly and I'll miss out on a lot of experiences. Right now a bunch of us are looking into air fare so we can fly to the Great Barrier Reef to go snorkling. How sweet is that? We also might go to Tazmania! This weekend we are going to "The Outback." Really, we're going about 8 hours out of the city to camp and chase kangaroos and learn more about the Aboriginal culture. It's going to be a lot of fun and we'll be there for 4 days, but it's going to be dirty and hot. So here is what's gone on since my last update....

Friday:
We went to two different libraries in the city for class Friday. They wanted to us to learn how to use the resources around us since the library here at school is pretty small. On the way to the library in the morning we met some interesting people, namely the Owl and Koala who tried to convince us of the dangers of global warming. And then yelled at us for drinking coffee. We thought they were funny.


After class we went to Olympic park for the Bob Dylan tribute concert. Apparently a lot of the artists there were famous Aussie singes, but we didn't know any of them. Here is a picture of us on our picnic blanket.



Saturday:
Saturday was pretty fun. It started to rain, which I've been craving! It has been so hot and humid here. Jon, Sarah, and I went down to The Rocks which is a historical district on the water. We wondered around and found a lot of cool shops, cafes, museums, bridges, and basically a lot of things to take pictures of. Here are a few of my favorites :)


Sunday:
Sunday was wonderful! Sarah and I sat on the couch all day and watched movies/talked/ate and did a whole lot of nothing. Sunday night we went to church at Wesley Mission (which is the church that founded the school I'm at) but besides that, we relaxed. I know it wasn't the most exciting day but I have been so busy since I got here! Wesley Mission was a pretty intersting church, it's seriously in the MIDDLE of the city. I think the bulletin said they have about 50 different services there each week in 5 different languages. It's a Uniting/Methodist church, which I'm not entirely sure what that means, but I'll figure it out.
Yesterday was my ASC class and we had an interesting speaker named Keith. He's a crazy english man. I'll have to write more about him later. I have a feeling he's going to inspire a lot of funny things to write on here. Anyways, classes are going to be hard this week. Today I have Old Testament, Theological Foundations and Video Production. woo woo.
Love,
Kristin

No comments: